Nov 6, 2006

Agile Again with User Story this time

SO I have stopped hammering my head now thinking about WTF is a User Story's role in Agile ... ok or Let me put it this way WTH is a User Story?

So talking about a user story which I had banged my head to www.google.com when I was thinking about it is nothing but a:

1. Unique unit of piece of functionality that is visible by means of progress to customer himself.
2. Is a content which doesn’t talk about the business at all.
3. contains the description of the functionality that will be developed in the Agile Iterations/ Incremental development.
4. Makes up the details of the functionality.
5. Tells you what should be present in the developed functionality in the form of Acceptance Tests.

So when we say that the User Story forms a part of agile and acceptance tests form a part of User story I say that the Customer puts all his thoughts and expectations to the User Story and tries to put in all his requirements in the acceptance tests to make sure that he get what he wants ... I quite liked the way the User stories are written up until the last Harvest meeting I did where I was expecting that User stories to contains some minute level details.. Well Sorry guys I was newbie then...

The other important part of the User story is that it should be understandable by both the Customer and the developer... well why? How the hell will he develop if he doesn’t know what he has to do...?

A User story plays an important role so as to let the Project Manager/Scrum Master take a decision on the priority of the Unit and the business value of it before really taking a step on developing it...

Coming back to who should really write the User story... I was always against having the end user really write the User story... you know the reason? 9 out of 10 times I have experienced that the end user is never sure of anything
2. He is not the right guy to do it...
3. He looks more of usability and feel then functionality and re-usability...

So who really it has to be?
1. Business Analyst
2. Product Manager if you have any...
3. Business Analyst if there is one
4. The Program Manager

OK guys if you come from a pure Agile background then please don’t misunderstand Program Manager and Product manager... they are different entities... Ideally the Business Analyst the Customer Product Manager usually writes the score...but it depends as I have seen Project Managers / Scrum Masters writing the User stories some times .. Well that’s not a Sin to be honest... if your Scrum Master/Project Manager is a product maestro then he can be more effective then the Product Analyst...

So that’s all about the User Story ... I also think that wire frames and screenshots don’t really play a major in a User story... to some extent I think they shoudnt be there unless really really required ... I would say that really really means like when you need to get a condom if you are planning sex with your Girl friend and she is close to her outrole period...

Alrite so I am getting a bit naughty here ... Yeah why Not I compare Work with Sex always ...

Ok if you really continue to have patience knowing more about Agile I am gonna write more coming few days when I go for the product release and a bit of Harvesting period...

Ciao till then.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment